Did you know that almost 1.72 billion households worldwide have a TV? Many people among these wish to connect external speakers with their TV because of TV’s poor sound quality. Learning how to connect speakers to TV with speaker wire is not very tricky. This article will explain how to do it in a few easy steps.
Television sets do have built-in speakers. Nonetheless, these speakers are compact, and their sound quality is compromised to keep the television thin. The sound quality can be significantly amplified by connecting an external speaker set to a television.
A home theater system serves the same purpose. If you want to know how to connect speakers to TV with speaker wire, read this article to the very end!
Read More: How To Connect Bluetooth Speaker To TV
Can You Connect Speakers To TV Directly?
No, televisions do not provide audio outputs and terminals that can connect speakers directly. However, wires can connect speakers to the TV via amplifiers or an AV receiver.
Most modern television sets provide audio outputs that are easier to connect with amplifiers and home theater systems. Most common output is HDMI
3 Steps To Connect Speakers To TV With Speaker Wire
We have broken down the process into a few parts to make it easy for you to understand and implement. Go through each step accurately, and your external speakers will be connected to your television in no time!
Get Your Equipment And Setup Ready
1. The first step is to know what type of speakers you have. As mentioned above, you cannot directly connect an external speaker to a TV. Nonetheless, if your speakers have a built-in amplifier, you can simply connect them to your television using RCA (Radio Corporation of America) cables.
In contrast, if your speakers are a more traditional type and do not have an amplifier, you will have to connect them with an amplifier that will later plug into the television.
2. You should test your speakers before connecting them to your TV. Connect your speakers to a mobile phone or laptop to try them primarily.
3. RCA cables are available on Amazon for inexpensive rates. You can get good quality cables from Amazon or any computer store.
4. Speakers will be a new addition to your present television set. Hence, clear up some room to accommodate the speakers, amplifier, and wiring. Wires should be appropriately secured and not left hanging.
5. Turn off your speakers, television, and amplifier before plugging anything.
6. The RCA cable outputs will probably be located on your TV’s backside. In some cases, the output jacks are also situated on the side. RCA cable holes will be red and white. If you have a modern TV, there is a possibility that your television has an auxiliary supported headphone jack.
Connect Speakers And Amplifier With The TV
1. For active speakers (with a built-in amplifier), all you have to do is connect the speakers to the audio jack at the back of the TV.
2. You will first need to connect the speakers to the amplifier if you have traditional speakers. Ensure the speakers and amplifier are not connected to a power source. Strip the PVC coating from the end of the speaker wires. You may use scissors or wire cutters for this job.
Another fast and easy way is to light up the end of the wire using a lighter for 1-2 seconds. Then quickly pull the end of the wire with your fingers, and the PVC coating should come right off.
3. Do the same with the amplifier wires. Strip off the PVC ends until the copper wires are exposed. Twist both wires together and tighten them. Use PVC tape to secure the connections. Make sure that no copper wires are exposed.
4. Now connect the amplifier RCA wires to the TV. The red wire goes to the red audio output, and the white wire into the white output.
Read More: How to connect Bluetooth speaker to Roku TV
Test The Speakers With Television
- Turn on the TV and the speakers.
- Test the sound quality and see if the speakers are working correctly or not.
- If the sound comes directly from the television, browse the TV settings and set the audio to external speakers.
- If you intend to connect to more than one speaker, we recommend you check the sound quality of each speaker individually. Playing all speakers at the same time does not give a clear indication of whether each speaker is working adequately or not.
- Once the speakers are perfectly integrated into the TV, secure all wires properly. You may use wall nails to fasten the cables in place.
How To Connect A Soundbar To A TV?
Soundbars are stylish speakers that mainly connect to the television using a single wired connection. Depending on which type of soundbar you opt for, the device may provide you with an HDMI or RCA port. You can simply connect them to your television and place them in narrow spaces.
Read More: How To Get Water Out of Your Phone Speaker
How To Connect A Bluetooth Speaker To A TV
As technology progresses, more accessible solutions to problems emerge. Most smart TVs nowadays are built-in with Bluetooth connectivity. You may check if your TV supports Bluetooth by browsing the settings. If it does, then connecting a Bluetooth speaker is a hassle-free and wireless task.
Make sure that the Bluetooth on your TV is turned on. Now switch on your wireless Bluetooth speaker and press the Bluetooth button to auto pair. Select the speaker from the available devices listed on your TV screen.
A beep will confirm that the speakers are successfully connected to the television. Test the sound quality and place the speaker wherever in the room you wish. Make sure that the speaker is lying in the television’s range.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
We hope this post taught you how to connect speakers to TV with speaker wire and use other methods. Always ensure safety when working with cables. We recommend the use of gloves and safety gear. There are many ways to connect speakers to a television. Nonetheless, the methods mentioned above are the most convenient and easy.
People Also Ask – FAQs
Is It Possible To Connect Speakers Directly To The TV?
Yes, only if your speakers have a built-in amplifier. Mostly, this is not the case as an external amplifier needs to be connected to the TV. If you have a soundbar, you can easily connect it with your TV using an HDMI cable or RCA cable. You can connect your speakers directly to the TV if both devices support Bluetooth connectivity.
How To Connect External Speakers With A TV With No Audio Output?
If you still own a television set from the early 2000s, this answer is probably for you. Old-school televisions do not have audio output, and connecting speakers with them can be cumbersome. In this case, it is recommended that you purchase an external media box or cable box that supports audio connectivity.